Translate

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Coping with Co-workers


How was your day at work? It could have been great if it weren’t for Karen.* Karen the workplace bully makes every day of the work week a Monday, and much longer than it has to be. Day after day you tolerate snide comments, constant complaining, unwanted input, and unwelcome humor (which is really a guise to be sarcastic). You want nothing more than to help a nice lemon meringue pie navigate its way to Karen’s entire face. You’re smiling right now picturing it aren’t you? Trust me, I am too. But we all know, unless the job is sponsoring a pie throwing event, it’s just not an option.  So what can you do? Here’s what I did.
                I started a new job last summer. I fell in love with it. It was just my speed, detailed enough to keep me interested, climate controlled, great benefits, pay…meh, however I was in need, this job met my needs and quickly became my career path. There was only one thing was stopping me from enjoying my daily routine, my workplace bully, Karen. A passive-aggressive, snarky, and underhanded co-worker. Highly skilled at her bullying craft to boot. On one occasion, it was concluded, she had taken a pertinent file and hid it on my desk to go to the recycle bin. I have to admit, we have a bit of a generational gap. Though, I share that gap with two other co-workers that never make me want ring their bell. Nevertheless after 9 months, the whole situation come to boil. The morale and teamwork had suffered. The situation was truly out of hand; the team had split almost down the middle. I had to do something.
I was curious, was it me? Have I upset the groove? I did some research and realized 2 people had left my department because of Karen’s antics. So while I was grateful that the workplace bully’s tactics eventually lead to my being gainfully employed, I was determined to not be the next victim.  Admittedly I did not use the most professional tactic initially. I tried the “Back Off” Tactic.  I plainly asked her “Do you ever get tired of being evil? Or does Satan recharge your battery every night?” The look on her face, priceless. Still I wasn’t satisfied. Had I helped the situation or have I hurt it? Hurt it of course!
                The object is not to get them back. The object is to rise above the childish behavior, while calling them to a higher place. So what next? I used my resources, good advice in the first few months of employment there prompted me to document everything including dates times and eye witnesses. With that information I filed a formal complaint with the Human Resources Department. I also requested a mediation, which she declined. So although, that didn’t work for me it showed my co-workers as well as superiors I was willing to resolve any issues.
Next I began to be very direct. This is not a simple trait to develop. People are so used to trying to be kind they forget to be real. While saying something to the affect of, “Excuse me this is a private conversation, do you mind?” can come off as rude it’s not. You’ve used your manners and requested them to do the same. It may not be welcomed, but what you’ve done is set a healthy boundary. The key to being direct is to find a middle ground in your tone, light years away from sarcasm and discourtesies. Be sincere not passive aggressive.
 Lastly I apologized. Sure, in my mind I felt justified in my tongue lashing after 9 month of “professional purgatory”. I wasn’t. In the professional world stay professional. It sets you apart from the Karens in the office and allows your true colors to shine. Surprisingly enough she apologized as well. After the apology the office had a lighter air to it. To keep the air light, I didn’t engage with Karen any longer, unless we had to work a case together. Work-life is sweet now. Did my actions change her? Absolutely not. She is still very much a disruptive distraction to productivity and peace. On the other hand my actions have changed my outlook and my response to her actions.

What’s the moral to the story?



1.       Do your research, know who you’re dealing with.

2.       Document everything:  times, dates, people present; every detail is useful.

3.       Use your resources: Human Resources, Your supervisor. This is why they get paid the big bucks to deal with the headaches that you shouldn’t have to tolerate.

4.       Set healthy boundaries: Instead of joining in on the negative behavior, no matter how tempting, rise above it and stay professional.

5.       Apologize for your part: A simple sincere apology can go a long way to improve the situation.

6.       Don’t engage: Know that all your actions haven’t changed this person for good. So be realistic and navigate around them if possible. If you have to engage, remember, stay professional.


If none of those things work I know a great Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe.


*Name changed to protect identity